Wednesday 15 August 2012

Handwritten

The brightest and shiniest moment in the band's career is also their biggest setback. The Gaslight Anthem have already released their best album and I don't see how anything they'll ever produce in the future could top The 59' Sound. With that being said, Handwritten is, of course, a great piece of work in its own right.


Their sophomore effort took the world by surprise with its perfect combination of punk rock tools, retro imagery and Brian Fallon's irresistible growl. All its components were refined to the point of near perfection, supplying listeners with a monthly (at least) dose of nostalgia. American Slang only continued the trend, more or less, and so does Handwritten.

The lyrics have never spoken more urgently and the instruments have never sounded better or bigger, as they reliably send shivers down my spine on several occassions (the ending of Mullholand Drive for example).  Handwritten is no short of grand moments as well as honest statements, with themes being more personal than ever before.



However, there are a few obstacles along the way. Using the same old formula, The Gaslight Anthem couldn't avoid repeating themselves. Not that they even tried to, because this is everything the band is about now. Heart on sleeve, catchy riffs and a great deal of sentiment. You either play along, or you don't. But let's be honest, if they'll stick to what they do so easily come their fifth album, there's a chance the audience may become increasingly indifferent.

Pretended or not, the band's sincerity largely makes up for any of the album's flaws or the lack of progression. And while being a bit ponderous at times, Handwritten is still a fine example of good old rock'n'roll craftsmanship. Within the span of the last three albums, The Gaslight Anthem have gone a long way from being punk rock's best kept secret to having #3 album on Billboard and selling out shows across the ocean. Nevertheless, The 59' Sound will remain the band's defining work for a little longer.

Best tracks: "45", Handwritten, National Anthem, (Blue Dahlia - bonus track)

By the way, I just realized, they might as well call themselves ABBA... :)

2 comments:

  1. I agree that it's not much of a step forward in direction, but I do think it's a step up in quality of songwriting. I'll always have an emotional connection to '59, and there's not a weak song on that album, but this one, to me, just edges it out for me. There's nothing as good as "The Backseat" (there rarely is...), but I think, overall, Handwritten has stronger melodies, higher emotional intensity, better musical elements, and more interesting implementation of influences.

    Anyway, I've written all of this (not sure if you read? It's here: http://furtherfromthesky.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-gaslight-anthem-handwritten.html), but I wanted to chime in.

    P.S.: How's your album of the year list looking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I read it ;) However, I guess that in the end, it depends on what themes you relate to. I prefer the extremely nostalgic feeling of The 59' Sound to the more personal issues on Handwritten. I'm not such an expert on the musical component, but the latter sounds more polished and, like they say, a little overproduced to me. And The 59' Sound was "the first one", so it has the undisputed advantage here...

    I was thinking about compiling a mid-year list, as we did last summer, but it seemed kinda useless at this point, because I cover most of these albums in my "reviews".

    I'm still thinking about fun. seizing the top spot and The Maccabees in the close second, the others would be Japandroids, Mayer, Nada Surf, TGA, Springsteen perhaps, Tallest Man On Earth, Jack White, The Vaccines... Yours? :)

    ReplyDelete