Sunday 21 October 2012

Emitt Rhodes


Wes Anderson's movies have always such carefully and well selected soundtracks. They usually feature a mix of more and less known artists from the sixties onwards, that go very well with the director's hipster image. The one that stuck with me the most is the soundtrack to The Royal Tenenbaums. Among The Rolling Stones or Paul Simon, it also contains a few hidden gems from musicians I'd never heard of before. Namely Emitt Rhodes, a man considered by many "the one man Beatles".

And that description is actually spot on. His music shows clear influence of the fab four and especially Paul McCartney. Rhodes' eponymous debut album sounds like what fans of Paul wanted to hear from him in the post-Beatles era. In 1970, the album made its way to #29 on Billboard charts.


Rhodes wrote all of the songs on his albums, he played all of the instruments, sang all of the vocals and recorded everything in his own primitive home studio. After three more years, three other records and a conflict with his label, Rhodes stopped performing and releasing new material. Which is a pitty, really. Because his fantastic eponymous album is a true masterpiece of the early 1970s.

6 comments:

  1. I'll have to check him out! My favorite from the movie is Nico "These Days"

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWYdMRlCoMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Nico is great too :D I also loved Nick Drake. I'm gonna post about him too... Are you a fan of Wes Anderson's movies? I love them all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never listened to Nick Drake before! Give me some suggestions for songs to listen to!

    I LOVE Wes Anderson movies. The only one I haven't seen yet is Bottle Rocket. Your avatar is probably one of my favorite movies by him. And I've recently lost my Team Zissou shirt, which makes me very sad. Have you seen Moonrise Kingdom yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I had a Team Zissou t-shirt :D Of course, I've seen it, personally, I think it's one of his best. Kinda because I used to be a boy scout too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, it's the Fab Four all over again! Sounds pretty spot-on Beatles. Which may or may not be a good thing... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have to agree, Moonrise Kingdom ranks pretty high! He just captures everything so beautifully. And the actors and characters are just unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete