Friday 29 March 2013

Revisited: Louder Now

This morning, like on most weekdays, I got up from bed at ungodly 6:20 a.m., I rolled up the window shade, looked at the street covered in freshly fallen snow (seriously, at easter? at these latitudes?), and started humming Twenty-Twenty Surgery by Taking Back Sunday. It actually took me a while to figure out what song it was because I haven't listened to this band in quite some time.



A few minutes later, even though the process of waking up still wasn't fully underway, it finally struck me why I was humming this particular song. The brain sometimes works in mysterious ways and the associations do not always make much sense. People who understand this, work in advertising. However, in hindsight, this one was kinda obvious...

Justin Timberlake is everywhere right now. His newest record sold almost one milion copies in the first week in the US alone, and the universal praise makes it impossible to avoid. Needless to say, 20/20 Experience already peacefully dwells on my hard drive, and as hard as it may be to admit, it has me curious. It must wait, though, because now, after all these years, it's time to give Louder Now a spin or two.


I used to be a lot into TBS. And by "a lot", I mean A LOT. Along with Green Day, Linkin Park or My Chemical Romance, they used to shape my music taste in the formative years. Louder Now was the record that got me into them and by far my most favourite. There wasn't one weak track, and every anthem, from Liar to Error: Operator hit me just as hard. The album delivered exactly what the title promised, and I would play it at maximum volume more often than it would've been healthy. However, what I didn't know back then, the band's career curve had already started going downhill...

But that's a whole another story. Louder Now is great for what it is, uncompromising and accomplished straightforward rock album. Right now, I'm enjoying it just as much as I used to.

4 comments:

  1. Always enjoy your revisited posts, and such a great album to write about. This post made me want to listen to this album!

    You'll have to tell me how you like Justin Timberlake. I've never really listened to him before :/

    Hope all the snow is melted and you had a good holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never listened to him either, the "Best New Music" label on Pitchfork is what made me...

    I'm glad you enjoy them, although it's little ironic, that the blog is called NEW Awesome Rock, and I write mostly about older music. :D

    Yeah, the snow is gone already and I was able to finally take my bike out. :) What were the Easter like in Omaha? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mixing the old with the new is refreshing (ironic as well ^_-). Plus there's so much music to catch up too!

    Your snow day sounds like my Monday. I woke up to snow and by the afternoon, it was all melted. Easter was a beautiful day. Sunny, cool, and breezy. I'm definitely ready for Spring!

    Biking is something I want to start doing this Spring/Summer, as long as it warms up some more.

    Hope you had a good Easter :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easter was alright, I'm not into the whole traditions thing, so I just enjoyed a day off. :)

    It's a few degrees above zero, but it's supposed to snow again tomorrow. The winter is really starting to piss people off, it's been way too long already. We had pretty much summer this time last year...

    ReplyDelete